Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I Can Only Imagine - A Father's Love

Into every life a little rain must fall. I want you to think about all the struggles that you have had or are having right now and I invite you to hear a story that will lighten your burden and give you the strength to carry on to victory and triumph. After the rain falls, the sun comes out eventually and there is a beautiful rainbow.

Dick and Rick Hoyt are a father-and-son team from Massachusetts who together compete just about continuously in marathon races. And if they’re not in a marathon they are in a triathlon — that daunting, almost superhuman, combination of 26.2 miles of running, 112 miles of bicycling, and 2.4 miles of swimming. Together they have climbed mountains, and once trekked 3,735 miles across America.

It’s a remarkable record of exertion — all the more so when you consider that Rick can't walk or talk.

For the past twenty five years or more Dick, who is 65, has pushed and pulled his son across the country and over hundreds of finish lines. When Dick runs, Rick is in a wheelchair that Dick is pushing. When Dick cycles, Rick is in the seat-pod from his wheelchair, attached to the front of the bike. When Dick swims, Rick is in a small but heavy, firmly stabilized boat being pulled by Dick.

At Rick’s birth in 1962 the umbilical cord coiled around his neck and cut off oxygen to his brain. Dick and his wife, Judy, were told that there would be no hope for their child’s development.

Rick, now 46, has had cerebral palsy since birth. Rick graduated from Boston College in 1993



Read the rest of their story by clicking on the following link or click on the video below.

Team Hoyt - Racing Towards Inclusion

After watching a movie like the one below, Dick received the following letter from a soldier.

Dear Dick and Rick,

I just felt compelled to write you a note of thanks.

After being medically discharged from the Army in the 90's following a leg injury, I was at a pretty sad crossroads in my life, when I watched a documentary in the early hours of the morning in the UK, that charted your Iron man.

I remember crying more that night than I have ever done in my life! It made me realize that no matter what life throws at you, you can still do whatever you want. it just takes a little more effort and a truck load of determination. So that's what I did, I found a direction, and more importantly my spark. I picked myself up and built a career, and more importantly a family.


Read the rest of the letter by going to Soldiers Letter



Whenever I start to think that life is tough and "I can't" go much further, I watch this video. When my strength and my patience run out, I ponder these pictures.




Jesus said, "If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - Matthew 7:11

This is the perfect example of God's Grace expressed in humanity !!
Surely Goodness and Mercy shall "FOLLOW ME"( or push me)!!! Thanks Mr. Hoyt

No comments: