Thursday, March 13, 2008

Dr. Oz and the "Last Lecture" Reprise on Oprah Show

If you knew that you only had 3-6 months to live, how would you live your life differently? If you could stand up and give a speech that would be recorded and shared with future generations, what would your final words be? What would you say to the people that you love?

This may be theory for most of us, but for Randy Pausch, it is a reality. Randy is married father of three and a very popular professor at Carnegie Mellon University who has pancreatic cancer. Although he is currently pursuing treatment, his doctors have told him that he may only have three to six months to live. This is the kind of cancer that Micheal Landon and Patrick Swayze were dealing with.

Randy appeared on the Oprah show recently with Dr. Oz to give the final lecture that he gave at Carnegie Mellon University. Here is the replay of that show.




My mother died last year from Alzheimer's disease. I held her little lost hand throughout the experience as I walked with her up to death's door. My father is almost 90 and I walk with him now as he has Parkinson's disease and dementia. The passing of a loved one causes you to take a hard look at your life and your priorities. Like Randy, I believe that we most regret the things we did not do versus the things we did. I will never regret the choice that I made to take care of my parents. The personal sacrifice will be worth it in the end.


Like Randy, I believe that life is all about the choices we make. If you sew good seeds in life, you will reap good things. If you choose to be negative and angry, you will reap the results of those choices. Choosing to be positive and hopeful will let you reap those rewards too. I like his analogy about choosing to be a "Tigger" or an "Eeyore."














Life is just to short to spend it complaining, worrying, criticizing others and being angry about everything. One of my favorite verses in the Bible is the one that says,

"The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:7-8

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have.

'Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain.'


Father Larry, OFM





2 comments:

Diana Young, RD, LD, CDE said...

Good Post. It really spoke to me.

Anonymous said...

Lots of good thinking on this blog -
Thank you.