. . . and Its Affect on Your Health
Cholesterol is a waxy, oily steroid compound which has received a lot of bad press in recent years – especially when it comes to cardiovascular degeneration. The truth states cholesterol is vital to the body's health and functioning.
Cholesterol is an essential component in cell membranes. It helps us to absorb fat-soluble vitamins (A,D,E, & K) and essential fatty acids. It is also involved in manufacturing key male and female sex hormones and steroidal hormones. These are crucial for a healthy immune system and a smooth running hormonal system.
Ironically, a significant percentage of coronary heart disease occurs in people with normal to low cholesterol. The problem behind heart disease isn't the cholesterol itself – but oxidized cholesterol. Over the past decade researchers have recently begun to realize that heart disease is actually the result of long-term, low-grade inflammation of our arteries. Numerous nutrients have been indicated by thousands of published studies to promote healthy cardiovascular function. There are four primary benefits that can be achieved by using nutrition to promote cardiovascular health:
1) Antioxidant nutrients that prevent cell oxidation of the LDL (bad) cholesterol. Cholesterol only becomes your enemy when the LDL faction is hit by a free radical and becomes oxidized. The following are nutrients that have been shown to act as antioxidants and protect the LDL cholesterol from oxidation:
- Garlic (400 - 2,000 mg per day - odorless aged extract is superior)
- Vitamin E (400 - 1,200 IU per day - a natural blend is up to 3 times for powerful)
- Grape Seed Extract (50 - 200 mg per day)
- Red Wine Extract (50 - 200 mg per day - use standardized 30% or greater polphenols)
- Green Tea Extract (100 - 300 mg per day - use standardized 80% polyphenols/55% epigallocatechin)
- CoEnzyme Q10 (60 - 120 mg per day)
2) Nutrients that promote healthy homocysteine levels. Over 500 studies have been published in the medical literature about the dangers of homocysteine. Elevated homocysteine is up to 5 times more deadly than elevated cholesterol. Vitamins B6, B12, Folic Acid promote healthy homocysteine levels.
The following are recommended nutrients and levels to promote healthy homocysteine levels:
- (50 - 150 mg per day)
- (500 - 2,000 mcg per day - form is far superior)
- Folic Acid (400 - 1,000 IU per day)
The following nutrients are recommended to promote healthy cholesterol levels and ratios:
- Fish Oil (1000-4000 mg per day of EPA & DHA)
- Garlic (900 mg per day - odorless aged extract)
- Tocotrienols (10-50 mg per day)
- Fiber (20 - 30 grams per day from food and supplements)
- Olive Polyphenols (5-10 Mg. per day)
4) Nutrients that promote strong and healthy blood vessels. Many people's diets do not supply enough and Bioflavonoids to promote healthy blood vessels. Vitamin C and Bioflavonoids are critical to collagen formation, the major connective protein that maintains and promotes strong blood vessels.
- Vitamin C (500 - 2,000 mg per day)
- Bioflavonoids (100 - 500 mg per day)
- Gingko Biloba (50-100 mg. per day)
- (100-400 mg per day)